zaterdag 26 juli 2008

if you're so very entertaining, then why are you on your own tonight?!


I've recently decided that The Smiths may be the best pop band to have ever walked on the surface of this earth. Yeah, I know I'm far to easy in handing out these best-thing-ever-labels. I guess you'll have to live with that. The very rare thing about this band is that they both have a very talented lyricist in Morrissey and an excellent guitarist in Johnny Marr. In fact, Marr's typical jangly guitar sound is so memorable and catchy that it will ensure that the songs will get stuck in your head for hours, days, weeks and months. Before you know it, you're yelling 'I would go out tonight / But I haven't got a stitch to wear' when you're riding your bicycle through the city. Yes, that one's from experience. 'This Charming Man' is a great song to sing along to, but my favourite from The Smiths is probably 'I Know It's Over'. Or 'Ask'. Or 'How Soon Is Now?'. Or 'Panic'. Picking just one is like choosing between sleep and music. I.M.P.O.S.S.I.B.L.E. Soo, 'I Know It's Over'. It's probably a bit too angsty and selfdegrading for my own good but I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. That's just how I roll. To quote Donnie Darko: 'I am pretty- I'm, I'm pretty troubled and I'm, I'm pretty confused. But I... and I'm afraid. Really, really afraid. Really afraid. But I... I... I think you're the fucking Antichrist. ' That last sentence has nothing to do with it, but it's still pretty cool, isn't it?! So yeah, back to the music. Here's a live version from The Smiths' heyday. The performance is a bit iffy, but the music is good, so you should give it a look:


Geen opmerkingen: