Being one of the new favourites from Radiohead's Thom Yorke, Bat For Lashes was destined for success. 'Fur and Gold' is one of the best debuts of recent years. The Brighton-based singer-songwriter (born as Natasha Khan, good thing she chose an artist name) blends haunting folk, melancholy and a pinch of pop into an original mix. Comparisons to Cat Power, Kate Bush and Björk are logical but not always fair. Because Bat For Lashes is so much more than just a copy. Her lyrics are sharp and touching: Sarah, I want to be like you. / Sarah, sometimes I want to live like you / Sarah, so I know how it feels not to feel. The atmosphere in songs like 'What's a Girl to Do?' (perfect pop), 'Horse and I' and 'Bat's Mouth' is so overwhelmingly beautiful it makes me want to take the next boat to Brighton and marry this woman. I have to admit: sometimes the record is too arty for the sake of it, but with so much promise shown, I'm willing to cover that with the cloak of charity.zaterdag 5 juli 2008
#29: Bat For Lashes - Fur and Gold (2006)
Being one of the new favourites from Radiohead's Thom Yorke, Bat For Lashes was destined for success. 'Fur and Gold' is one of the best debuts of recent years. The Brighton-based singer-songwriter (born as Natasha Khan, good thing she chose an artist name) blends haunting folk, melancholy and a pinch of pop into an original mix. Comparisons to Cat Power, Kate Bush and Björk are logical but not always fair. Because Bat For Lashes is so much more than just a copy. Her lyrics are sharp and touching: Sarah, I want to be like you. / Sarah, sometimes I want to live like you / Sarah, so I know how it feels not to feel. The atmosphere in songs like 'What's a Girl to Do?' (perfect pop), 'Horse and I' and 'Bat's Mouth' is so overwhelmingly beautiful it makes me want to take the next boat to Brighton and marry this woman. I have to admit: sometimes the record is too arty for the sake of it, but with so much promise shown, I'm willing to cover that with the cloak of charity.
Abonneren op:
Reacties posten (Atom)
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten